Thursday, November 26, 2009

All I Want For Christmas Is ... A Blue Fuzzy

Australian astronomers have discovered that the universe is dominated by tiny galaxies called "blue fuzzies". 


Blue fuzzies are small, hot temperature or blue (hence the blue part) collections of young stars that are fuzzy-looking (hence the fuzzy part) when seen from a distance (that is, they are not spiral galaxies like our own Milky Way).

As reported in ABC Science, an average blue fuzzy is roughly the size of the Small Magellanic Cloud - a mere seven thousand light years across - and contains as many as seven billion stars.

Now I know what I want for Christmas. I'll add a dwarf blue fuzzy galaxy to my collection of other miniature things: the pygmy hippopotamus, the mini pig, the dwarf lop-eared rabbit, the miniature horse and the rat dog (sorry Chihuahua). 

Now all I need is for someone to breed a pygmy elephant and I'll have the full set.

Stroy source: abc.net.au
Picture credit: Sloan Digital Sky Survey

No comments:

Post a Comment