Tuesday, September 29, 2009

True Blood does the Rocky Horror Show

This blog post started when I woke up to Triple J this morning and Marike Hardy was telling listeners how, at the Chinese production of the musical Cats, a child did a poo in the theatre aisle and the performance had to be stopped.  Wow, do they have harsh critics in China!  Usually you just get hecklers.

Now this is pretty much my reaction to Cats as well.  That's not to say I dislike musicals - there are some I love: Singing in the Rain, Les Miserables, The Singing Dectective, Cabaret (and lots of others). 

A particular teenage obsession of mine was The Rocky Horror Show - both stage and cinema versions.  When I was in the shower this morning (my best place for thinking) I had a vision/fantasy/delusion (call it what you will) of the characters in True Blood being cast in The Rocky Horror Show.  Here are my suggestions.

For Brad and Janet - no contest really - it has to be Bill and Sookie.  We know Bill can sing and dance and I'm sure Sookie sang in the Church choir.

Dr. Frank-N-Furter - now this is a hard one.  As much as I'd like to see Eric in fishnets, I think the role would have to go to Lafayette.

Riff-Raff and Magenta - Eric is a bit left field for Riff-Raff, but I think he could make it work and Pam would be a spectacular Magenta.

Columbia - hmm - Jessica or Tara?  I going with Tara - 'cause I'm sure she can tap-dance.

Dr. Everett V. Scott - Sam (I had to give him something poor dear).

Rocky Horror - again no contest here - it just has to be Jason.

Eddie - Andy Bellefleur - he's as mad as a cut snake, so perfect for this role.

The Criminologist - Sheriff Dearborne - "it's just a jump to the left."

The Transylvanians - Jessica, Hoyt, Mike Spencer, Rosy, Jane Bodehouse.

Queen Sophie-Ann - the Director, of course.

3 comments:

  1. Love the idea, I would certainly watch that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's just one problem with that casting--the scene between Rocky and Janet would be totally icky in your scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There's just one problem with that casting--the scene between Rocky and Janet would be totally icky in your scenario."

    Yeah - it probably would be- although Rocky Horror is a bit icky all over. :-)

    ReplyDelete