Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Anna Paquin - Afraid of Weddings?


I just love the way the media can beat up a throw-away line.  Classic case is Anna Paquin's declaration to a UK tabloid that she hates those puffy, "meringue" wedding dresses - those horrible creations that even the most fashion-conscious of brides can be sucked into wearing for their big day. 

Actually I agree with Anna - although I'd add that the only thing worse than a wedding dress is a bridesmaid's dress. 

Anna's quite rational dislike of wedding dresses has been media-morphed into a fear of weddings.  Kind of like when she wore a loose top one day and was suddenly pregnant [Is that how it happens? I always wondered.]

Not to be outdone by a tabloid (my standards are low) I thought I'd add to the beat-up by coining a phrase for wedding-phobia.  Having Googled this and being unable to find an actual word for wedding phobia, I looked up the Greek word for wedding (or marriage), which is παντρεία "pandria".  For some reason all phobias are Greek (phobia, itself, being a Greek word).

So, Anna, I thought you'd like to know you are now a Pandriaphobe.  Kind of sounds like you are afraid of cute black and white bears.  As a self-confessed Coulrophobe I am glad to see that there are other phobics out there.  Mind you, given the fact that I did this translation and research in about 5 minutes I may be naming you something else entirely.  Sorry about that. 

Oh - and congratulations on the pregnancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment